Already Have the Chase Sapphire Preferred? Get This Next
If you already have the Chase Sapphire Preferred®, then you know a good travel rewards credit card is worth its weight in gold. And, while there's certainly a lot to love about the Preferred®, after a while, you may start to wonder... what's next?
My recommendation: get the Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite MasterCard®.
This top travel card remains one of my favorites because of its high rewards rate, flexible reward options, and awesome sign-up bonus.
But I know you're probably looking for more than that, so I broke it down. Here’s why you should consider getting it next.
- Score another awesome sign-up bonus You’ll earn 50,000 bonus miles when you spend $3,000 within the first 90 days of opening an account. That's valued at $525 towards travel!
- Earn rewards FAST You’ll earn 2x miles for every dollar you spend.
- Rewards keep on giving When you redeem your rewards, you’ll get a 5% miles rebate to use the next time (a perk the Sapphire Preferred® does not offer).
- Rewards are incredibly flexible You’ll be able to redeem rewards on nearly any travel purchase, including airfare, hotels, cruises, and more in the form of a travel statement credit.
- Miles never expire As long as your account is open, your reward miles will never expire.
- ZERO foreign transaction fees A "must" if you plan on traveling abroad.
- $0 annual fee for the first year. After that, it’s $89.
Why It's a No-Brainer
1. It’s super flexible
When it comes to booking a trip, flexibility is key, and the Barclaycard Arrival Plus™ World Elite MasterCard® has a lot of it. In fact, it's one of the most flexible travel credit cards available right now.
Once you’re ready to redeem, rewards can be booked however you’d like - whether that be directly through an airline or hotel, travel agent, or travel website. Barclaycard Arrival Plus™ World Elite MasterCard will then reimburse your travel expenses with the reward miles in your account.
This option is especially great for budget travelers since it allows you to snag the best deals whenever they become available. I personally love that I can book an airfare deal on JetBlue or Southwest Airlines and use my Barclaycard Rewards to cover the costs. It really makes traveling a breeze.
Here are a few examples of how easy the reimbursement process is:
Example 1: Jumping on an Airfare Sale
Let’s say JetBlue has an incredible sale on airfare and you quickly book a $100 roundtrip ticket to San Diego using your Barclaycard Arrival Plus™ World Elite MasterCard®.
As soon as the purchase shows up on your statement, you would simply select and submit the expense for reimbursement using your miles. When the transaction clears, you’ll see it on your statement and can pack your bags for San Diego for free thanks to your rewards!
Example 2: Using a Travel Agent
Planning a trip with a group of friends and making reservations through a travel agent? You can use your miles to reimburse your travel plans, thanks to your card's insane redemption flexibility.
All you’d have to do is use your Barclaycard Arrival Plus™ World Elite MasterCard® to pay for your travel reservations, log into your account, pull up your statement, and tag the expense for reimbursement. Once it’s been processed, you’ll see a credit on your statement for the amount covered by your reward miles.
2. The sign-up bonus is GENEROUS
When you sign-up for a new travel rewards credit card, you want to sign-up bonus to be so good you can't resist it. Thankfully, the Barclaycard Arrival Plus™ World Elite MasterCard® doesn’t disappoint. You’ll earn 50,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 90 days of opening an account.
To put that into perspective, 50,000 miles is enough to redeem over $525 in travel statement credits!
$525 towards travel could mean:
Roundtrip airfare + 7 nights in a highly rated hotel in Cancun
Non-stop roundtrip flight NYC to Paris
Four (4) non-stop roundtrip flights San Diego to Vegas (with points left to spare!)
This is one of the absolute best sign-up bonuses currently available - just be sure to meet the minimum spending requirement to take advantage of it.
3. Rewards are easy to earn and add up FAST
Building a stockpile of rewards with this card is easy - you’ll earn 2 miles for every dollar spent on this card.
Each mile is worth 1 cent, and when you redeem your reward miles, you’ll get 5% of them back to use towards your next redemption. I love seeing this automatic rewards rebate hit my account – it gets me excited to book my next trip with rewards!
It's good to note that most credit card reward rates are 1%, so this high rate of rewards is a keeper.
4. No need to worry about hidden terms and conditions
As with all rewards credit cards, worrying about blackout dates, mileage caps, and reward expirations are common. However, you won’t need to worry about that with your Barclaycard Arrival Plus™ World Elite MasterCard®.
There’s no cap on the amount of award miles you can earn, no blackout dates, and as long as your account is open, miles don’t expire.
Another great redemption tip: redeem miles for your entire trip or just a portion - you decide what’s best for you.
5. Traveling couldn’t be easier or more secure
This card carries no foreign transaction fee, making it a must-have for traveling abroad. Also, its chip-and-PIN enabled capabilities make it an ultra-secure choice to use while traveling abroad and not many cards offer it yet.
6. There’s a built-in support network
Another undeniable reason to love this card is because of the emphasis on customer experience.
When you sign-up for the card, you not only receive a powerful travel rewards card, but you also gain access to the Barclaycard Travel Community which connects travelers across the globe and rewards them with bonus miles for sharing their travel stories.
Let's Not Forget The World Elite Benefits
In addition to the benefits above, you'll also qualify for World Elite Mastercard benefits which include:
24/7 Complimentary Concierge
- Like having your very own personal assistant
- they'll help you locate hard-to-find items
- make restaurant reservations, and more!
Luxury Travel Benefits
- On-call personal travel advisor
- Global VIP access to
- Luxury amenities and benefits (which include complimentary room upgrades, early check-in, late check-out, etc.)
- World Elite air – get upgrades, savings, and discounts on both domestic and international flights
- World Elite cruise – exclusive benefits and discounts on cruises (such as Mastercard's exclusive $50 shipboard credit per person on Royal Carribean Cruises!)
- World Elite tours and vacations – special packages to help you maximize your time at any destination
- World Elite car rental – complimentary elite status, upgrades, and savings on rentals
- World Elite chauffeured car service – for when you don't want to drive yourself
- World Elite private jet – exclusive benefits and discounts
- Trip cancellation insurance, travel protection, emergency assistance
- Priceless Cities – access to unique experiences and exclusive discounts (shopping, sports, entertainment, culinary)
- Priceless Golf – access to Golf Concierge Services and exclusive offers for the PGA TOUR
Identity Theft Protection
- 24/7 access to experts who can help guide you through what to do
- ID Theft Alerts – detects and notifies you if your personal info is in jeopardy
- Emergency card replacement – get a replacement ASAP
- Fuel Rewards Network – save more money on fuel
- Zero Liability – you won't be held responsible for unauthorized purchases
- Extended Warranty – doubles the original manufacturer's warranty and service contract (where each is 24 months or less)
- Price Protection – be reimbursed the difference of an eligible new item if you find a lower price within 120 days of purchase
Seriously, that's amazing!
How Barclaycard Arrival Miles Work
Miles earned with your Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite MasterCard® are worth 1 cent each and you'll get 5% of your miles back each time you redeem them as an automatic rebate to your account.
This effectively means the card is a 2.1% back card when you redeem rewards miles for travel.
Miles can be redeemed for travel-related purchases made within the previous 120 days when the purchase is over $100 or equal to 10,000 miles.
Travel-related purchases can include:
- Hotels, motels, Airbnb
- Car rentals
- Travel agencies
- Discount travel sites (like Expedia or Kayak)
- Taxis, Limos, Uber
- Trains, Buses
Insider Tip: Earn even more miles by shopping through the Barclaycard RewardsBoost Portal. You'll earn extra rewards at 700+ stores!
But the Annual Fee...
Yes, there is an annual fee but with all of the aforementioned benefits and a generous sign-up bonus, it's easy to justify keeping this card in your wallet.
Plus, you'll pay $0 for the first 12 months, as the $89 annual fee is waived for the first year.
Is There Another Option?
As good as this card is, no credit card is perfect for everyone. If you fall into one of the categories below, it may be best to consider a different option.
You prefer cash back. A high rewards rate is only good if it fits your lifestyle, so if traveling isn’t really your thing and you’d prefer a cash back rewards card, the Citi® Double Cash Card might be better for you. You’ll get 1% cash back when you use the card to make a purchase and another 1% when you pay it off. Plus, there are no limits to the amount you can earn, and no annual fee, making it a solid choice for a cash back rewards card. Keep in mind, the effective cash back rate of 2% is still just slightly below the Barclaycard Arrival Plus™ World Elite MasterCard®'s 2.1%.
You don’t plan to travel abroad. If you typically stick with domestic travel, the Capital One® Venture® Rewards Card may be a better match for you. With a similar sign-up bonus and earning structure, the Venture® Rewards Card features chip-and-signature technology (vs. chip and PIN) which is standard all around the US, and has a lower annual fee - $0 for the first year, then $59.
You’re loyal to a specific airline. Belonging to an airline loyalty program isn’t a deal breaker for getting The Barclaycard Arrival Plus™ World Elite MasterCard® by any means, but if you’re able to get more value from an airline card, it may make more sense for you. For example, the JetBlue Card may be a better option if you tend to book all of your travel with JetBlue Airways. With it, you'll earn 3x points on all JetBlue purchases, 2x points at restaurants and grocery stores, and 1x point on everything else. Plus, you'll save 50% on in-flight purchases (hello 1/2 off snack boxes!), and there's no annual fee.
If you’re looking for a rewards card to serve as a powerful travel companion around the globe, the Barclaycard Arrival Plus™ World Elite MasterCard® is it. With so many incredible benefits and a ton of flexibility, you’ll be booking for your first rewards trip in no time.
- 50,000 bonus miles when you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 90 days of account opening (equivalent to a $525 travel statement credit)
- Earn 2x miles on any and all purchases
- 5% rebate on rewards redemptions
- 0% Intro APR on balance transfers for the first 12 months
- No foreign transaction fees
- Annual fee: $0 for the first year, then $89
Disclaimer: This content and the opinions expressed here are the author’s alone and have not been provided, commissioned, or endorsed by the credit card issuer. All information was accurate at the time of this post but card terms and conditions may change at any time.