Blue Cash Preferred® from American Express
- Earn 6% Cash Back at US supermarkets up to $6,000 per year
- Earn 3% Cash Back at US gas stations and select department stores
- Earn 1% Cash Back on everything else
- 0% Intro APR on Balance Transfers and Purchases for first 12 months
- Earn $150 Bonus when you spend $1,000 in first 3 months
- Apply by 1/11/17, earn 10% at Amazon.com in first 6 months up to $200
- View Terms
Why We Like It
The Blue Cash Preferred® from American Express could be a fantastic card for you if the majority of your purchases are on groceries and gas. It might be our best Cash Back rewards card for families.
Earn 6% cash back at US supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year, one of the highest cash back rates offered to consumers in any purchase category, then 1% on groceries after that.
Earn an unlimited 3% cash back back at US gas stations and select department stores like Sears, Macys, Kohl’s, Nordstrom, JC Penney and many more when you use your Blue Cash Preferred® card. Earn 1% on all other eligible purchases.
Though this card comes with an annual fee of $95, even if you only take advantage of the $150 signup bonus and the 6% cash back on $6K of groceries each year ($360 value), not including the other Cash Back opportunities, it's well worth it!
Amazon.com Limited Time Offer: Apply by 1/11/17, earn 10% at Amazon.com in first 6 months up to $200 (very high cash back for holiday shopping!)
Earn $150 back when you make $1,000 in purchases on your new card in the first 3 months
0% intro APR on balance transfers and purchases for 12 months
We recommend you have Good to Excellent (690 - 850) credit before applying for this card.
It also offers a generous 12 month introductory 0% APR period for purchases (great if you need to finance a large purchase) and balance transfers (must be requested within 30 days of account opening, up to $7,500 or 75% of your credit limit).
Additional benefits include:
- Purchase Protection: cover purchases against accidental damage or theft for 90 days from date of purchase
- Return Protection: if you can't get a refund when you return your purchase, Amex will refund it within 90 days of purchase
- Extended Warranty on purchases made with the card
- Worldwide Car Rental Insurance: you may be covered against theft or damage to a rental car
- 24/7 Travel & Emergency Assistance
- Travel Accident Insurance
- Roadside Assistance
- Exclusive Access to Events: cardholders enjoy special access to purchase tickets to thousands of events annually, including presale tickets, Broadway shows, concerts, sporting events, and more
- ShopRunner: get complimentary subscription to ShopRunner which provides free 2-day shipping online at select stores
|Purchase Intro APR||0%* for 12 months on purchases and balance transfers from account opening|
|Purchase APR||After intro period ends, 13.24%–23.24%* variable APR|
|Annual Fee||$95 - Though this card comes with an annual fee of $95, even if you only take advantage of the $150 signup bonus and the 6% cash back on $6K of groceries each year ($360 value) it's well worth it!|
|Rewards Rate||Up to 10% Cash Back, see terms & details|
|Rewards Rate Details||Cash back is redeemed as statement credits|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||2.7%|
|Credit Needed||Good, Excellent|
Thoughts from Actual Users
"While there is an annual fee, at least for a family of 4, the American Express Blue Cash Preferred more than makes up for it with its generous cash back rewards! The 6% cash back on groceries is amazing, and on top of that, you get 3% back on gas and department stores. All other purchases are 1% back. The online portal is very sleek and easy to use, and there are constant 'offers' that you can add to your card to get extra cash back at specific stores without having to clip coupons." Jay P. of New York, NY
"Best Cash Back Card on the Market Today. My wife and I have been using this card for the last three months. For the budget conscious family, this card is a no-brainer." Seth G. of Dallas, TX
"I love this card. I just got my first statement and I was surprised to see I already got almost 30 dollars back in cash rewards mostly from the 6 percent back on grocery store purchases. I also already got my $150 dollar credit for spending $1,000 in the first three months. Three percent back on gas and one percent on everything else plus all the other perks make this a great card all around. The grocery rebate does not include big box stores like Costco. For Costco I use another Amex card that has rewards specific to that store." Trish K. of Georgetown, DE