Platinum Card® from American Express for Ameriprise Financial
- $200 Reimbursement of Airline Fees
- 5X Points on Flights
- 2X Points on Travel booked thru Amex Portal, 1X Points on everything else
- Reimbursement for $100 Global Entry or TSA Pre-Check
- Complimentary Global Lounge Collection with access to the most luxurious airport lounges across the globe
- $0 Annual fee first year
- View Terms
Why We Like It
The Platinum Card® from American Express has a long history of being a premium rewards card for the frequent traveler and it remains the same today.
With the Platinum Card® for Ameriprise Financial, the $450 annual fee is waived the first year, plus the $175 fee per additional authorized user is also waived the first year. Additionally, as an Ameriprise client, you'll earn 5,000 Membership Rewards points® for every $20,000 in eligible purchases.
If you're able to take advantage of the generous travel benefits and luxury add-ons, you could easily justify having this card even past the first year.
Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points per dollar for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel, 2X Points on other travel booked through the AmexTravel.com portal, plus 1X Point per dollar on everything else.
Get complimentary access to over 1,000 airport lounges in 120 countries including Centurion® lounge, Delta Sky Club®, and Priority Pass™ Select lounges - valued at hundreds of dollars if you use the lounges a couple times per year.
This is the only version of the Amex Platinum Card that waives the $450 annual fee and $175 authorized user fee the first year
We recommend you have Good to Excellent (690 - 850) credit before applying for this card.
This is a charge card, not a credit card, which means that you must pay your balance in full every month. There are no interest charges since you cannot carry a balance, which could help you avoid debt.
The $200 Reimbursement of Airline Fees can be used when you select a qualifying airline and charge fees such as checked bags, in-flight refreshments, flight-change fees or overweight/oversize baggage fees on your card. You'll be reimbursed via statement credit.
While 4 of the 5 lounge programs in the Global Lounge Collection are free for your traveling companions, you'll have to pay $27 per guest for Priority Pass™ Select lounges with this card.
You can add up to 3 additional authorized users in the first year and pay $0. For subsequent years, there is a $175 fee per additional user. Membership Rewards are capped at 30,000 points annually.
Additional Benefits Include:
- Membership Rewards® Program: redeem for maximum 1 cent per point when you book travel through American Express (options include 100 airlines and 1000s of hotels around the world), gift cards, or Uber; or choose to redeem for AirBnB stays, Membership Experiences
- Membership Rewards® Transfer Partners: transfer points to top air carriers such as JetBlue, Iberia, Delta, Singapore Airlines, Virgin America, Etihad Airways, Cathay Pacific, Delta and British Airways; hotel programs Starwood Preferred Guest®, Choice Privileges®, and Hilton HHonors®; Plenti® Points; the majority of partners transfer at 1:1 point rate
- Global Lounge Collection: complimentary access to the most luxurious airport lounges across the globe
- Complimentary Gold Preferred status with Starwood Preferred Guest Program
- Complimentary Gold status with Hilton HHonors
- Reimbursement for Global Entry ($100) or TSA Pre Check ($85) application
- Complimentary benefits when booking with the FINE HOTELS & RESORTS (average $550 in value for a typical two night stay; often includes daily breakfast for two, room upgrades, $100 amenity, early checkin, late checkout)
- Complimentary benefits when booking at The Hotel Collection ($75 hotel credit, room upgrade with minimum 2 night stay)
- Lowest Rate Guaranteed: book a prepaid hotel on amextravel.com and if you find a lower price online, get refunded the difference
- Free Boingo Wi-Fi: at over 1,000,000 Boingo hotspots worldwide
- Purchase Protection: cover purchases for 90 days against damage or theft
- Return Protection: reimbursed for your purchase if store won't take it back within 90 days
- Roadside Assistance
- Premium Global Assistance Hotline
- Extended Warranty on purchases made with the card
- Travel Accident Insurance
- Lost/Damaged Luggage Reimbursement
- Auto Rental Insurance: coverage for damage due to collision or theft
- By Invitation Only® & Membership Experiences: pre-sale tickets and access to other exclusive once-in-a-lifetime experiences like VIP concerts, red carpet premieres and sports championship events
- Preferred Seating at select events
- Concierge: get 24/7 help with requests like dinner reservations, travel plans, personal requests, or Broadway, music and sporting event tickets
- Complementary membership in elite-level programs of Avis, Hertz, and National Car Rental with special discounts and upgrades
- Exclusive benefits through the Premium Private Jet program with Delta Private Jets, including 20% scheduled flights
- ShopRunner: get complimentary subscription to ShopRunner which provides free 2-day shipping online at select stores
- Free subscription to DEPARTURES luxury travel magazine, only for Platinum cardholders
- No pre-set spending limit so you get purchasing power that adjusts with your use of the Card
|Purchase Intro APR||N/A|
|Annual Fee||$450 - Waived first year|
|Rewards Rate||Up to 5X Points per dollar|
|Rewards Rate Details||Membership Rewards® Points can be redeemed for free travel, hotel nights, gift cards, even cash back; you'll likely maximize redemption value by transferring to airline and hotel partners|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||0%|
|Credit Needed||Good, Excellent|
Thoughts from Actual Users
"Got this card after hearing about it from a friend. No fee the first year is huge plus i added 3 family members so they could get access to lounges without having to pay $175 in additional user fees since i did it in the first year. $200 annual air credit is great." Brian B. of Redondo Beach, CA
"Amex always has great customer service and I've been a loyal customer for years. Even with other travel rewards cards out there, this is the absolute best points earned for airfare. 5X can't be beat. Use it for all my flights." Robyn N. of Tampa, FL
"I came across this card by mistake and glad I did. Some say you don't even need to be Ameriprise client to qualify for the card and Amex didn't check if I had an account so worth a shot. Love not paying the $450 first year, my friends are shocked when I tell them." Sean H. of Baltimore, MD