Platinum Card® from American Express
- 40,000 Bonus Points (valued at up to $400) when you spend $3,000 in first 3 months
- $200 Reimbursement of Airline Fees
- 5X Points on Flights
- 2X Points on Travel booked thru Amex Portal, 1X Points on everything else
- Reimbursement for $100 Global Entry or TSA Pre-Check
- Complimentary Global Lounge Collection with access to the most luxurious airport lounges across the globe
- View Terms
Why We Like It
The Platinum Card® from American Express has a long history of being a premium rewards card for the frequent traveler and it remains the same today. Despite its hefty $450 annual fee, if you're able to take advantage of the generous travel benefits and luxury add-ons, you could easily justify getting this card.
Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points per dollar for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel, 2X Points on other travel booked through the AmexTravel.com portal, plus 1X Point per dollar on everything else.
Get complimentary access to over 1,000 airport lounges in 120 countries including Centurion® lounge, Delta Sky Club®, and Priority Pass™ Select lounges - valued at hundreds of dollars if you use the lounges a couple times per year.
Limited Time Bonus: you'll earn 40,000 Amex Membership Rewards® Bonus Points when you sign up now and spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening.
Based on our valuation, the 40K sign-up bonus could be worth up to $400 in free hotel nights or airfare when you redeem through Amex Travel or a transfer partner.
Earn 40,000 points when you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months of opening your new card
We recommend you have Good to Excellent (690 - 850) credit before applying for this card.
This is a charge card, not a credit card, which means that you must pay your balance in full every month. There are no interest charges since you cannot carry a balance, which could help you avoid debt.
The $200 Reimbursement of Airline Fees can be used when you select a qualifying airline and charge fees such as checked bags, in-flight refreshments, flight-change fees or overweight/oversize baggage fees on your card. You'll be reimbursed via statement credit.
While 4 of the 5 lounge programs in the Global Lounge Collection are free for your traveling companions, you'll have to pay $27 per guest for Priority Pass™ Select lounges with this card.
Additional Benefits Include:
- Membership Rewards® Program: redeem for maximum 1 cent per point when you book travel through American Express (options include 100 airlines and 1000s of hotels around the world), gift cards, or Uber; or choose to redeem for AirBnB stays, Membership Experiences
- Membership Rewards® Transfer Partners: transfer points to top air carriers such as JetBlue, Iberia, Delta, Singapore Airlines, Virgin America, Etihad Airways, Cathay Pacific, Delta and British Airways; hotel programs Starwood Preferred Guest®, Choice Privileges®, and Hilton HHonors®; Plenti® Points; the majority of partners transfer at 1:1 point rate
- Global Lounge Collection: complimentary access to the most luxurious airport lounges across the globe
- Complimentary Gold Preferred status with Starwood Preferred Guest Program
- Complimentary Gold status with Hilton HHonors
- Reimbursement for Global Entry ($100) or TSA Pre Check ($85) application
- Complimentary benefits when booking with the FINE HOTELS & RESORTS (average $550 in value for a typical two night stay; often includes daily breakfast for two, room upgrades, $100 amenity, early checkin, late checkout)
- Complimentary benefits when booking at The Hotel Collection ($75 hotel credit, room upgrade with minimum 2 night stay)
- Lowest Rate Guaranteed: book a prepaid hotel on amextravel.com and if you find a lower price online, get refunded the difference
- Free Boingo Wi-Fi: at over 1,000,000 Boingo hotspots worldwide
- Purchase Protection: cover purchases for 90 days against damage or theft
- Return Protection: reimbursed for your purchase if store won't take it back within 90 days
- Roadside Assistance
- Premium Global Assistance Hotline
- Extended Warranty on purchases made with the card
- Travel Accident Insurance
- Lost/Damaged Luggage Reimbursement
- Auto Rental Insurance: coverage for damage due to collision or theft
- By Invitation Only® & Membership Experiences: pre-sale tickets and access to other exclusive once-in-a-lifetime experiences like VIP concerts, red carpet premieres and sports championship events
- Preferred Seating at select events
- Concierge: get 24/7 help with requests like dinner reservations, travel plans, personal requests, or Broadway, music and sporting event tickets
- Complementary membership in elite-level programs of Avis, Hertz, and National Car Rental with special discounts and upgrades
- Exclusive benefits through the Premium Private Jet program with Delta Private Jets, including 20% scheduled flights
- ShopRunner: get complimentary subscription to ShopRunner which provides free 2-day shipping online at select stores
- Free subscription to DEPARTURES luxury travel magazine, only for Platinum cardholders
- No pre-set spending limit so you get purchasing power that adjusts with your use of the Card
|Purchase Intro APR||N/A|
|Annual Fee||$450 - Annual fee for additional authorized users is $175 for up to 3 additional cards. The annual fee for the 4th or more additional card is $175 each card.|
|Rewards Rate||Up to 5X Points per dollar|
|Rewards Rate Details||Membership Rewards® Points can be redeemed for free travel, hotel nights, gift cards, even cash back; you'll likely maximize redemption value by transferring to airline and hotel partners|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||0%|
|Credit Needed||Good, Excellent|
Thoughts from Actual Users
"You dont need to be a crazy traveler to get your money's worth. These perks include gold status at Hilton and SPG, which often give you free wifi, late checkout, free or cheap room upgrades when available, and sometimes free breakfast buffets. Executive status at rental car companies. Its difficult to find all the benefits of this card. Price protection for purchases. An almost no questions asked reversal of bogus charges or unsatisfactory services and purchases." - David N. of Charlotte, NC
"I have had mine for 9 months and was very anxious about the annual fee. I can tell you though that I have gotten my $450 worth already out of the concierge service." - Russ H. of Portland, OR
"I have used the benefits for this card and it's worth it because I get back what the card cost every year. Nothing like staying at the Ritz Carlton or other fine hotel and getting a credit to use for diner and room upgrade which every time Ive gotten Free breakfast as well. Also the insurance when renting a car of $19.95 so you can waive what the car rental place offers. There are many benefits as well as the $200 airline credit which, i used recently." Tova E. of Roslyn, NY