Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Card from American Express
- 25,000 Bonus Points (valued up to $750) when you spend $5,000 in first 90 days
- Up to 5X Points at SPG hotels
- 2X Points at Marriott/Ritz
- 1X Points on everything else
- $0 Annual fee first year, then $95
- View Terms
Why We Like It
The Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Card from American Express has long been one of our favorite travel cards because of its extensive rewards program. It's best for luxury hotel enthusiasts.
Redeem Starpoints for free nights at any of Starwood's 11 hotel brands including St. Regis, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, Le Méridien, Westin, Sheraton, Aloft, Element Hotels, Four Points by Sheraton, Tribute Portfolio and Design Hotels. We believe it has one of the highest reward redemption rates available at up to 3 cents per point when you use points on free nights.
Plus get access to SPG's extensive travel transfer partner program: 2:1 point transfers with United MileagePlus® and 1:1 point transfers with top travel programs such as Marriott Rewards®, Ritz Carlton Rewards®, American Airlines, Delta, British Airways, Singapore Airlines, Qatar Airways, Emirates, Virgin America/Atlantic and more.
Limited Time Bonus: you'll earn 25,000 Bonus Starpoints® when you sign up now and spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 90 days of account opening.
Based on our valuation, the 25K sign-up bonus could be worth up to $750 in free domestic hotel nights, or $500 in international nights (depending on hotel category, day of week, and seasonality).
25,000 points (up to $750 in value) after making $5,000 in purchases within first 90 days of account opening
What many people don't realize is that the self-employed and sole proprietors are able to apply without having to provide a federal tax ID (EIN), license or revenue stream. This could be a great rewards card if you're a freelancer, Etsy or eBay seller, or even if you're just getting started consulting or writing.
Simply use your personal Social Security Number, and credit lines will be extended based on your established personal credit history. We recommend you have Good to Excellent (690 - 850) credit before applying for this card.
For every dollar spent at a participating Starwood hotel, earn 4X points per dollar if you are have standard SPG Preferred status. If you have elite status at SPG Gold or Platinum Preferred levels, earn 5X points per dollar.
*New* For every dollar spent at participating Marriott/Ritz hotels, earn 2X points at any SPG status level. Then earn 1X points on everything else.
Add employee cards at no extra cost. Employee purchases earn you points at the same value, but employees do not share your SPG status. Employees do get benefits like insurance coverage and purchase protection (see below).
Starpoints redemptions for a free night range from 2,000 Starpoints for a weekend night in a standard room at a Category 1 property to 35,000 Starpoints for a high season night in a standard room at a Category 7 property.
Additional benefits include:
- Starwood Hotels Program: earn and redeem Starpoints for free nights at over 1,300 hotels in almost 100 countries (some hotels and resorts have mandatory service charges)
- SPG Airline Partners: transfer points to over 30 major airline carriers, the majority of which transfer at 1:1 point rate, or redeem points for free flights on over 150 airlines with SPG Flights
- Earn 5,000 bonus Starpoints when you transfer 20,000 Starpoints to a participating airline transfer partner
- Complimentary access to the Sheraton® Club lounge
- Lowest Rate Guaranteed: book a prepaid hotel on amextravel.com and if you find a lower price online, get refunded the difference
- Free Premium Internet Access at SPG Properties
- Free Boingo Wi-Fi at over 1,000,000 Boingo hotspots worldwide
- SPG Gold status after spending $30,000 or more in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year
- Annual credit for 5 nights and 2 stays annually toward the next level of SPG Elite status
- SPG Moments: use Starpoints for once-in-a-lifetime experiences like VIP concerts, red carpet premieres and sports championship events
- Purchase Protection: cover purchases for 90 days against damage or theft
- Return Protection: reimbursed for your purchase if store won't take it back within 90 days
- Roadside Assistance
- Lost/Damaged Luggage Reimbursement
- Travel Accident Insurance
- ShopRunner: get complimentary subscription to ShopRunner which provides free 2-day shipping online at select stores
|Purchase Intro APR||N/A|
|Balance Transfer Intro APR||N/A|
|APR||15.49% - 19.49%* variable APR based on on creditworthiness|
|Annual Fee||$95 - Waived first year|
|Rewards Rate||Up to 5X Points per dollar|
|Rewards Rate Details||Starpoints® can be redeemed for free hotel nights, air travel, even cash back; you'll likely get the best redemption value with free nights|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||0%|
|Credit Needed||Good, Excellent|
Thoughts from Actual Users
"SPG is the best hotel loyalty program by a stretch. I'm glad I got this card, it gives a ton of benefits when you travel and also SPG is now with Marriott and Ritz so even more options. Great signup bonus." Julie N. of Pittsburgh, PA
"Starpoints are worth 2.3 cents or even more when you redeem them for free hotel nights. I've visited Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Aspen and Paris and stayed at top hotels for basically nothing thanks to SPG points. Great card and customer service. I also have personal version." Dylan S. of Green Bay, WI
"I'm my own boss and got approved for this card. 25,000 bonus easily weighs annual fee. No foreign transaction fees and even if you can't use points to book a room you almost pay yourself back with the points you get for booking at a Starwood property." Lily W. of Palo Alto, CA