Gold Delta SkyMiles®
- 30,000 Bonus Miles (valued at up to $1,500 in air travel) when you spend $1,000 in first 3 months
- $50 Statement Credit when you make a Delta purchase in first 3 months
- First checked bag free on Delta flights
- 7X Miles on Delta purchases with Skymiles membership, up to 13X
- 1X Miles on everything else
- $0 Annual fee first year, then $95
- View Terms
Why We Like It
The Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express is a solid travel rewards card if you're a frequent flyer on Delta airlines.
Delta's main airport hubs include Atlanta, New York's JFK and LaGuardia, Paris's Charles de Gaulle, Boston's Logan Airport, Amsterdam, Los Angeles's LAX, Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Tokyo's Narita, Salt Lake City, and Seattle-Tacoma. New routes recently added include direct service to San Francisco, Nashville, St. Thomas, Punta Cana in Dominican Republic, and even Jamaica.
Limited Time Bonus: you'll earn 30,000 Bonus Skymiles® when you sign up now and spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening. This is one of the lowest spending requirements for sign-up bonuses!
Based on our valuation, each Skymile is worth anywhere from 1.2 to 5 cents so the 30K sign-up bonus could be worth up to $1,500 in free air travel (depending on destination, day of week, and seasonality). Skymile redemptions start at just 10,000 points for one-way award travel.
Plus get $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase in the first 3 months of account opening.
Earn 30,000 miles when you spend $1,000 on purchases within first 3 months of account opening
Earn $50 statement credit when you make a Delta purchase within first 3 months of account opening
We recommend you have Good to Excellent (690 - 850) credit before applying for this card.
On top of the 2X miles per dollar that "comes" with Delta purchases on this card, earn additional miles on Delta flights when you use your card because you are a SkyMiles member:
- General SkyMiles members earn 5 additional miles per dollar on Delta flights (for a total 7X per dollar)
- Silver Medallion members will earn 7 additional miles per dollar on Delta flights (total 9X)
- Gold Medallion members will earn 8 additional miles per dollar on Delta flights (total 10X)
- Platinum Medallion members will earn 9 additional miles per dollar on Delta flights (total 11X)
- Diamond Medallion members will earn 11 additional miles per dollar on Delta flights (total 13X)
First checked bag free is limited to primary cardholder, not authorized users.
Maximum mile redemption value is usually found with international business class flights on Delta or a transfer partner.
Additional benefits include:
- SkyMiles Marketplace: redeem miles for flights on Delta and over 15 airline transfer partners; reduce the cost of your ticket price in 5,000 mile increments using Pay With Miles (5,000 miles = $50 discount); redeem for Delta Private Jets® flights, seat upgrades, hotels, gift cards, and more
- 20% in-flight purchases like food and drink on Delta flights (given as statement credit)
- Reduced rate ($29 per person) to access Delta Sky Club lounges for you and up to 2 traveling companions
- Priority Zone 1 boarding on Delta flights for everyone on your reservation
- SkyTeam® Global Alliance: earn and redeem miles on partners like Air France-KLM, Virgin Atlantic, Alitalia, Alaska Airlines, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, Korean Air, China Airlines, Garuda Indonesia, and Virgin Australia.
- Hotel partners: earn additional miles when you book using your card at properties within Starwood Preferred Guest (Westin, Sheraton, W Hotel, St Regis, and more), Hilton, Marriott/Ritz Carlton, Hyatt, Shangri-La and more; or select miles as your earning preference when booking
- Lowest Rate Guaranteed: book a prepaid hotel on amextravel.com and if you find a lower price online, get refunded the difference
- Purchase Protection: cover purchases for 90 days against damage or theft
- Return Protection: reimbursed for your purchase if store won't take it back within 90 days
- Extended Warranty on purchases made with the card
- Travel Accident Insurance
- Auto Rental Insurance: coverage for damage due to collision or theft
- Membership Experiences: pre-sale tickets and access to other exclusive once-in-a-lifetime experiences like VIP concerts, red carpet premieres and sports championship events
- Global Assistance Hotline
- Roadside Assistance
- ShopRunner: get complimentary subscription to ShopRunner which provides free 2-day shipping online at select stores
|Purchase Intro APR||N/A|
|Purchase APR||15.99% - 24.99%* variable APR based on on creditworthiness|
|Annual Fee||$95 - Waived first year|
|Rewards Rate||Up to 13X Points per dollar|
|Rewards Rate Details||There's no limit to how many Skymiles® you can earn; you'll likely get the best value when redeeming for free air travel|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||0%|
|Credit Needed||Good, Excellent|
Thoughts from Actual Users
"I like the American Express Delta gold card since I earn Delta miles for every purchase, and it saves me money by giving free checked bags for flights. Another great feature is being able to use miles in increments of 10,000 to spend as $100 when buying flights on the Delta website, this is called "pay with miles". There is an annual fee of $95 but the benefits will outweigh the cost for most average travelers." John C. of Berkeley, CA
"Great credit card for the frequent Delta traveler. You get a huge mileage bonus when you sign onto the card. And now, with delta's revised Medallion (MQM) policy, you can earn status based off of your credit card purchases. This means I can keep and maintain my airline status without much effort. Moreover, it's nice to never pay for checked bags. And the credit card gives you priority on upgrades as well." Delilah T. of Atlanta, GA
"Delta and partners have been my primary airline for the past 5 years, so the skymile rewards are useful. I try to keep the balance paid because the interest rate isn't the most competitive. For this type of use pattern, the card is hard to beat. I have enjoyed American Express products for over 20 years and have not had a reason to end that relationship. The customer service at American Express is a reason I'm a card holder." Paul M. of Seattle, WA