United MileagePlus® Explorer
- 30,000 Bonus Miles (valued at up to $510 in air travel) when you spend $1,000 in first 3 months
- 2X Miles on United tickets
- 1X Miles on everything else
- First checked bag free on United flights
- $0 Annual fee first year, then $95
- View Terms
Why We Like It
The United MileagePlus® Explorer® Credit Card from Chase is a solid travel rewards card if you're a frequent flyer on United Airlines.
Earn 2X Miles on United ticket purchases, 1X Miles on everything else.
United's main airport hubs include Chicago O'Hare, Los Angeles's LAX, Newark, Denver, San Francisco, Houston, Washington Dulles, and Tokyo's Narita. New routes recently added include direct service to Cuba, Aspen, Jackson Hole, the UK, and Hong Kong.
If you want to travel to - or connect through - one of these cities, the United MileagePlus® Explorer® card could be a worthwhile choice.
Limited Time Bonus: you'll earn 30,000 Bonus Miles when you sign up now and spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening. Based on our valuation, each United mile is worth approximately 1.7 cents so the 30K sign-up bonus could be worth up to $510 in free air travel (depending on destination, day of week, and seasonality).
Also earn 5,000 Bonus Miles when you add an authorized user ($0 fee) and they make a purchase in the first 3 months.
Redeem miles for domestic award tickets starting at just 12,500 miles one-way. International award tickets start at just 20,000 miles in economy and 35,000 miles in business one-way.
Earn 30,000 miles (up to $510 value) when you spend $1,000 on purchases within first 3 months of account opening
Earn 5,000 miles (up to $85 value) when you add an authorized user and they make a purchase within first 3 months of account opening
We recommend you have Excellent (750 - 850) credit before applying for this card.
Unlike other airline programs, United’s MileagePlus program does not charge fuel surcharges on award tickets, which would normally be $400 and upwards on international flights.
Promotional bonuses are valid for first-time cardholders and those who haven't received a new bonus for this card in the past 24 months.
There is no limit to how many miles you could earn and points do not expire as long as your account is active.
First checked bag free (value $25 per person one-way) and priority boarding is limited to primary cardholder and one traveling companion, not authorized users traveling alone.
In-flight purchases are not eligible for 2X Miles.
Additional benefits include:
- United MileagePlus® Program: world's most comprehensive route network of over 4500 flights daily flying to over 300 airports
- Star Alliance™: redeem miles for flights on partners like Singapore Airlines, Lufthansa, Swiss, TAP Portugal, Thai Airways, Turkish Airlines, Air Canada, Air China, ANA, Brussels Airlines, Eva Air, Croatia Airlines, Air India, Air New Zealand, Egyptair, Scandinavian Airlines, South African Airways; more than 1,300 destinations in over 190 countries; international award tickets in business and first class with partners often produce excellent redemption values for your miles
- Receive 10,000 bonus miles when you make $25,000 in purchases in a calendar year
- Complimentary benefits when booking at over 900 properties in the Luxury Hotels & Resort Collection (average $550 in value for a typical two night stay; daily breakfast for two, room upgrades, early checkin, late checkout, and a special amenity like lunch or dinner for two, spa treatment, airport transfer, or welcome gift); properties include select St. Regis, Hyatt, Mandarin Oriental, Waldorf Astoria, W Hotels, SLS, COMO Hotels
- Two complimentary airport lounge passes to United Club℠ every year
- Priority boarding on United flights for everyone on your reservation
- For MileagePlus Premier level members, complimentary upgrades on United award flights
- Inside Access from Chase: access to other exclusive once-in-a-lifetime experiences like VIP dinners, concerts, red carpet premieres and sports championship events
- MileagePlus Events: redeem miles for exclusive once-in-a-lifetime experiences like VIP dinners, concerts, shows, and parties
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions through United MileagePlus
- Price Protection: if you make a purchase and find a lower price advertised within 90 days, be reimbursed the difference
- Purchase Protection: cover purchases for 120 days against damage or theft
- Return Protection: reimbursed for your purchase if store won't take it back within 90 days
- Extended Warranty on purchases made with the card
- Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance
- Trip Delay Reimbursement
- Auto Rental Insurance: coverage for damage due to collision or theft
- Travel Accident Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Assistance
- Lost Luggage Reimbursement
- Trip/Baggage Delay Reimbursement
|Purchase Intro APR||N/A|
|Purchase APR||16.24% - 23.24%* variable APR based on on creditworthiness|
|Annual Fee||$95 - Waived first year|
|Rewards Rate||Up to 2X Miles per dollar|
|Rewards Rate Details||Miles can be redeemed for free flights, hotels, merchandise, experiences, gift cards, car rentals, and even cruises; you'll maximize redemption value by booking free flights|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||0%|
Thoughts from Actual Users
"Good card. I like United cards because you can actually get an award for the stated lowest miles. No fuel fees when you book reward tickets is enormous benefit versus other airline programs." Doug M. of Houston, TX
"Great card for non-premier United fliers. If you fly United frequently, but not frequently enough to reach Premier status, this is an excellent card. Note that once you reach premier status, you get a free checked bag and priority boarding anyways, so the card becomes a bit less appealing. United club passes are still nice." Grant W. of Raleigh, NC
"I used to fly United frequently for work and have found the United card very useful for additional perks now that I no longer hold 1K status - particularly the priority boarding and the free checked bags. Another huge benefit is that when you book an award ticket with miles + this card, you are eligible for upgrades on those flights. I recently flew two round trips to Hawaii for weddings, booked both tickets with miles, and was upgraded into First Class on 3 out of 4 of the legs - which I could not have been eligible for otherwise." Courtney W. of Toms River, NJ