Chase Sapphire Preferred®
- 50,000 Bonus Points (valued at $625 toward travel) when you spend $4,000 in the first 3 months of account opening
- 2X Points on dining & travel
- 1X Point on everything else
- $0 Annual fee first year, then $95
- Credit Needed: Good, Excellent
- View Terms
Why We Like It
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® is a top-rated rewards card to earn free travel and hotel stays. While it's recently been outshone by the uber-premium Chase Sapphire Reserve℠ if you're not game for the Reserve's℠ $450 annual fee, the Preferred® can still give you the best of Chase Ultimate Rewards at a lower annual cost.
Limited Time Bonus: you'll earn 50,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards® Bonus Points when you sign up now and spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening.
50,000 Points is worth $625 toward travel when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through your Preferred® account on Chase Ultimate Rewards® portal!
We think it's the best travel card available right now based on its signup bonus and low annual fee, waived the first year.
Earn 2X Points per dollar on travel and dining, plus 1X Point per dollar on everything else.
Plus with the Chase Sapphire Preferred®, you'll get a special redemption value of 1.25 cents per 1 point redeemed for travel. That's 25% more value than the standard!
50,000 points ($625 value) after making $4,000 in purchases in the first 3 months of account opening
We recommend you have Good to Excellent (690 - 850) credit before applying for this card.
Earn 5,000 Bonus Points when you add an Authorized User ($0 fee) and make your first purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
The $95 Annual fee is waived for the first year. If you take advantage of the generous 50K point sign-up promotion ($625 value) it easily outweighs the annual fee.
50K Bonus for new cardholders only and previous cardholders who haven't received a bonus for this card within the last 24 months.
Additional benefits include:
- Chase Ultimate Rewards® Program with 1:1 point transfers between top travel programs such as Marriott Rewards®, Ritz-Carlton Rewards®, United MileagePlus®, Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards®, Hyatt Gold Passport®, British Airways Executive Club, and Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Price Protection: if you make a purchase and find a lower price advertised within 90 days, be reimbursed the difference up to $500 per item, $2,500 per year
- Purchase Protection: covers purchases for 120 days against damage or theft up to $500 per claim and $50,000 per account
- Return Protection: be reimbursed for your purchase if store won't take it back within 90 days; up to $500 per item, $1,000 per year
- Extended Warranty on purchases made with the card
- Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance
- Auto Rental Insurance: coverage for damage due to collision or theft
- Trip/Baggage Delay Reimbursement
|Intro Purchase APR||N/A|
|Intro Balance Transfer APR||N/A|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||0%|
|Annual Fee||$95 - Waived first year|
|Rewards Rate||Up to 2X Points per dollar|
|Rewards Rate Details||Chase Ultimate Rewards® can be redeemed for 1.25 cents each if you book travel through their portal; 1 cent if you redeem for cash|
|Credit Needed||Good, Excellent|
Thoughts from Actual Users
"I got this card because of the travel benefits, and have already in the first six months gotten a nearly free international flight which I'm using to take my grandmother on a trip to Scotland. I'm pretty happy with that." Kelly C. of Hoboken, NJ
"Getting the Chase Sapphire Preferred card was the best decision we have made for travel. Great customer service, both online and over the phone. We love the online aspect and services the card offers for paying bills and budgeting. We would recommend and have recommended the card to our friends and family. Keep up the great work and outstanding performance of your card." Bill C. of Walla Walla, WA
"50,000 points? Yes please. Love the Sapphire Preferred Card Excellent card with excellent benefits. I've booked several trips using point and gained points while using this card to purchase points. And no foreign transaction fees it a huge plus!!! Would recommend this card!" Truc H. of Dickinson, ND